(Answer) MGMT19128 Strategy and Change
The assessment involves the application of strategic management theories, concepts and tools covered in the unit to analyse a case. You are required to select a case from any industry. The objective is to analyse the case from the strategic management point of view, given the information they had at a particular point in time.
You are required to have a good understanding of the microenvironment and industry-related factors that influence a business to devise new strategies.
It is important that you recognise that internal resource and capability assessment is vital for a company before taking any new strategic initiative.
You are required to explain how a value chain analysis helps a business to identify the areas of competitive advantage and sources of threats.
A comprehensive understanding of three generic business-level strategies will give a better analytical framework to discuss why and how a business should pursue a differentiation strategy. You need to focus on the competitive benefits of a differentiation strategy.
This is an individual assessment with a maximum of 1500 words to be written in a business report format. Your submission should use a combination of at least 10 (ten) academic journal and textbook references. Please upload the assessment through the appropriate Moodle link.
Assessment must be uploaded as a .doc or .docx file (word file).
Any assessment with a ‘Turnitin’ score of more than 15% will be checked by the marker and unit coordinator for potential plagiarism issue although it may not necessarily mean that you have plagiarised. If there is a substantial similarity score in the ‘Turnitin’ report, your assessment could be forwarded to an appropriate office/authority.
Detailed assessment criteria will be posted on the Moodle site in week 2.
Submission checklist for MGMT19128 Strategy and Change: Assessment 1 (Case study)
· Cover page with name and ID (use the cover page provided in Moodle)
· 1.5 line spacing and 12 size font in Times New Roman
· Maximum of 1500 words
· Submissions should be made in .doc or .docx format
· Note that if you are using Mac, you may need to change to the acceptable format before final submission.
· Submit online through Assessment 1 submission link in Moodle
Week 6 Friday (28 Aug. 2020) 11:55 pm AEST
Week 7 Friday (4 Sep. 2020)
Background of the case. (15%)
Discuss the importance of five forces model SWOT matrix and value chain analysis in assessing the nature of competition in an industry. Critically analyse when does a business should pursue a differentiation strategy?
Use macro-environmental and industry analysis to identify the core competencies of the company and its competitive advantages (30%)
Critically analyse the strategies followed by the company. (30%)
Discuss future challenges (15%)
Please read the attached document on Assessment 1: Case Study guidelines before attempting the assessment. It contains key information such as the required format and assessment criteria.
- Undertake scenario analysis, assess risks, and align resources to achieve key priorities
- Assess how organisations use strategy in change management process
- Analyse how performance targets and key measures are set, monitored and improved at organisational, functional and individual level.
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Team Work
- Information Technology Competence
- Cross Cultural Competence