(Solution) MGMT13151 Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Start-ups
MGMT13151 Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Start-ups
1 Written Assessment
This is an individual assignment that requires you to write an essay of 1800 words +/- 10%.
This assessment item provides you the opportunity to learn how to identify and analyze an idea or opportunity for a social or commercial enterprise using your understanding of theoretical concepts covered in this Unit. The assessment aims to develop your critical thinking, research and written communication skills. You can choose to develop an idea or opportunity and feasibility analysis for a social enterprise or a commercial enterprise. Overall, the purpose of this assignment is to appreciate the importance of entrepreneurship and innovation within society.
This assignment requires you to identify a new social or commercial enterprise Idea that has potential to be launched as a successful social or commercial enterprise in-future. You are required to:
- Provide a brief description of your idea or opportunity
- Identify the process you followed to develop your idea or opportunity
- Discuss the skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur
- Evaluate the viability of your social or commercial enterprise through a feasibility study
- Explain the importance of your social or commercial enterprise within society
Week 5 Friday (14 Aug. 2020) 11:55 pm AEST
All submissions must be uploaded through the Submit Assessment 1 link on the unit Moodle page. The assessment should be uploaded as a word document. Penalties for late submission are applied as per CQU policy.
Week 7 Friday (4 Sep. 2020)
Your marks and feedback will be available in Feedback Studio on Moodle.
- Provision of a description of the idea or opportunity (6 marks)
- Identification of the process followed to develop the idea or opportunity (6 marks)
- Discussion of the skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur (6 marks)
- Evaluation of the viability of the social or commercial enterprise through a feasibility study (10 marks)
- Explanation of the importance of the social or commercial enterprise within society (6 marks)
- Demonstrated depth and quality of research by using a minimum of 12-15 academic sources (2 marks)
- Correct use of the APA referencing system in-text and in the reference list of the assignment (2 marks)
- Correct use of the essay structure and appropriate conventions of academic writing (2 marks)
- Demonstrate an understanding of entrepreneurship, innovation and new start-ups through critical review and synthesis of knowledge and current developments in the field
- Synthesise knowledge and exercise critical thinking to appreciate the importance of entrepreneurship and innovation within society
- Critically analyse and synthesise the knowledge, qualities and skills needed to become a successful entrepreneur in start-up ventures
- Demonstrate creative skills and critical thinking to identify a new start-up opportunity and evaluate its feasibility
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Information Literacy
- Ethical practice
- Social Innovation
2 Written Assessment
This is a group assignment that requires you to (i) deliver a 10 minute pitch presentation and (ii) write a business plan (report of 2000 words +/- 10%) for a potentially new social or commercial enterprise.
Majority of new firms are started by a team of founders. This assessment will give you the opportunity to think and work like a potential entrepreneur with founding team members. You will be able to expand on the idea or opportunity for a social or commercial enterprise identified in Assessment 1 to indicate how the idea can be developed into a potentially successful and purposeful venture. This assessment task provides you the opportunity to enhance your research, analysis, critical thinking, team work, written and oral communication skills, particularly in the areas of developing an argument in the context of a new business plan and pitch.
Form a group of 2-3 members. You and your team members will play the role of startup founders in this assessment. The members of your group must all be either within your lecture or your tutorial group. Groups cannot be formed with students who are not in your lecture or tutorial group. Distance students will also be required to form groups by connecting with other distance students enrolled in the Unit. There will be a maximum of 3 members in each group. There will be no changes to these assessment groups once selected so please make sure that you join a group with a commitment to contribute in the assessment task till the end of the Unit. Detailed guidelines on group enrollment will be made available on the unit’s Moodle site.
First, discuss within your group and select any one team member’s idea developed in Assessment 1 for your Assessment 2 task. Then, you are required to complete the following:
- Develop and deliver a 10 minute pitch presentation about the selected social or commercial enterprise
- Use the business model canvas to illustrate elements important to developing your social or commercial enterprise
- Write a business plan for your potential social or commercial enterprise. Templates to help you create a business plan (Australian government resources for small businesses and others) will be made available on Moodle.
There are 2 submissions for assessment 2 due in Week 12:
(i) PITCH: Group Presentation
On campus student groups will make a class presentation or Zoom recording during week 11 or 12 in consultation with your on-campus lecturer. Details on this will be made available on Moodle. The PowerPoint presentation must be uploaded as per the assessment 2 deadline in Week 12 on Moodle (ppt or pdf file).
Distance student groups will upload a PowerPoint presentation (ppt or pdf file) and a Zoom recording of the group Pitch presentation on Moodle during Week 12 as per the assessment 2 deadline date.
(ii) BUSINESS PLAN: in the form of a written report to be uploaded on Moodle as a Word document in Week 12.
NOTE: Only one member of your group needs to upload the documents via the submission link on Moodle; this will upload the same documents for each group member.
Week 12 Friday (9 Oct. 2020) 11:55 pm AEST
All submissions must be uploaded through the Submit Assessment Item 2 link on the unit Moodle page. Penalties for late submission are applied as per CQU policy.
Exam Week Friday (23 Oct. 2020)
Assessment 2 will be returned and final marks will be released after grade certification. You will find your marks and feedback through the Feedback Studio portal on Moodle.
Presentation (10 marks)
- Development and delivery of a 10 minute pitch about the social or commercial enterprise. Guidance on how create a pitch presentation and the specific qualities on which the pitch will be marked will be available on the unit Moodle site.
Report (50 marks)
- Compelling justification for the ‘need’ of the New Venture. In other words, is there a pressing need for its product or service? is it offering a potential solution to a real problem? (10 marks)
- Discussion on the Founder Team composition and its importance for your proposed venture (4 marks)
- Discussion on the legal and organization structure for your proposed venture (2 marks)
- Professional structure and completeness of the business plan that includes a discussion on target market, financial plan, industry and competitor analysis (10 marks)
- Compelling explanation of all the key elements within the business business plan for a social or commercial enterprise (10 marks)
- Use of the business model canvas to illustrate elements important to developing a social or commercial enterprise (10 marks)
- Demonstrated quality of research and correct use of the APA referencing system in-text and in the reference list at the end of the assignment (2 marks)
- Correct use of the report structure and appropriate conventions of academic writing (2 marks)