(Solution) Nr443 Week 3 Discussion: Caring for Vulnerable Populations
This week’s discussion relates to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO 3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO 4 and 8)
- CO 4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
Review the Week 3 Case Studies by opening the links below.
Choose one of the three attached case studies, and reflect on the vulnerable population that the case study portrays.
- Identify which case you chose.
- Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for the vulnerable population in your case study.
- Identify one agency in your community that can assist this vulnerable group and assess this agency in terms of the 4 A’s (see the lesson). Discuss each of the A’s separately to assess accessibility, acceptability, affordability, and availability for this population.
I chose the Dementia case study. According to the Alzheimer’s Association (2018), risk factors for dementia are-age, genetics/family history, smoking and alcohol use, atherosclerosis, cholesterol, diabetes, and mild cognitive impairment. The population for the case study is seniors, age increase the risk of Alzheimer’s, most individuals with the disease are 65 and older (Alzheimer’s Association, 2018). After the age of 65 the risk of Alzheimer’s doubles every five years, after the age of 85, the risk is almost one-third (Alzheimer’s Association, 2018). While Alzheimer’s is the most common form of dementia (60-80 percent of cases), there is also vascular dementia (cause is high blood pressure), alcohol-related dementia, and Parkinson’s dementia (Alzheimer’s Association, 2018). Diabetes if not controlled is a risk factor, by damaging organs including the brain and can lead to dementia or Alzheimer’s disease (Alzheimer’s Association, 2018). Smoking, alcohol use, high cholesterol………...click the purchase icon above to purchase full solution at $5